Welcome
The Official Blog of Save Our Fisheries



This blog will be dedicated to Marine Conservation and saving our natural fisheries. It is every anglers duty to do his or her part to conserve our marine resources. One of the best ways to do this is through the practice of "Catch and Release" fishing. By this I don't mean you shouldn't keep a reasonable amount of fish for dinner, just don't take more than you will consume. We all have a responsibility to conserve these natural resources so that our children and our children's children will be able to enjoy the same excitement that we have had in landing that trophy catch. http://saveourfisheries.blogspot.com/

Friday, March 21, 2008

A Great Weekend To Take The Kids Fishing In Florida



Well my friends I would like to say Happy Easter to all!
On this the first weekend of spring 2008
The weather here in Florida is great and it looks like it will be a great time to wet the lines. My son is coming up from Fort Lauderdale and I'm looking forward to taking him and all the kids fishing. On the beaches here in Central Florida we have been getting Tarpon, Snook, Pompano (my favorite) Whiting, Black Drum and a lot of Redfish
.
The Tarpon are of course catch and release only while the Snook and Redfish have their respective slot limits, and a bag limit of one per day. The fish have been quite large lately and call it lucky or not you will be hard pressed to catch one in the slot. Hey who cares I would rather catch and release a monster Snook than to bring one home dinner.

The kids all love fishing on the beach, although none of them will eat the fish we catch or let anyone else eat them, so it will be mostly just a fun catch and release weekend for all. Now that could change a little if the Pompano decide to bite MY hook or better yet one of those slot size Snook or Redfish!

Surf fishing has always held a special place in my heart. When I was young my Dad would take me surf fishing for Striped Bass, ah the memories of getting up in the middle of the night and even Mom got up to make a big bag full of sandwiches for us to take along.

Spending a day at the beach fishing with my Dad is something i will never forget. I know of no of no better bonding between a father and son. My Dad gave me the fishing fever and I will do all I can pass it along to the young people in my life.

I sure hope the kids have as fond memories of fishing when they grow up as I have had and carry on the tradition for generations to come.

So in closing I would like to say spend family weekend fishing with your children or grandchildren the memories will last a lifetime!

No comments: