Welcome
The Official Blog of Save Our Fisheries



This blog will be dedicated to Marine Conservation and saving our natural fisheries. It is every anglers duty to do his or her part to conserve our marine resources. One of the best ways to do this is through the practice of "Catch and Release" fishing. By this I don't mean you shouldn't keep a reasonable amount of fish for dinner, just don't take more than you will consume. We all have a responsibility to conserve these natural resources so that our children and our children's children will be able to enjoy the same excitement that we have had in landing that trophy catch. http://saveourfisheries.blogspot.com/

Thursday, March 6, 2008

How To Start Them Early by George Poveromo



Start Them Early by George Poveromo
NOTE: The following feature originally appeared in the April, 1993 issue of Salt Water Sportsman magazine. It's just as timely today. Lindsay Poveromo, now 21 years old. George claims she's still the "perfect kid" and has no gray hair that would indicate otherwise. He's also enjoying his 11-year old daughter, Megan and getting her ready for her boating experiences. Start Them Early!

I was one of those kids who couldn't get enough of fishing. As I recall, the blame rests with a six-ounce mangrove snapper tending its turf underneath a Marathon, Florida, dock. I was seven years old, on a family vacation and trying to understand the workings of the $4.50 toy fishing rods Ol' Dad bought for my brother and me some 40 miles back at a Key Largo department store.

I'm sure the plastic outfits were more of a bribe to keep us quiet and well behaved for the remainder of the drive than they were for fishing. That became evident the following morning, when he and my uncle slipped off to jig for kingfish! After a little horseplay, my brother set aside his now-crippled outfit and began frolicking in the swimming pool. I waited impatiently for the boat's return so someone could show me how to use my new rod and reel. The boat eventually docked, and I was awestruck by the kings and a 40-pound dolphin that appeared to be three times my size.

The happy duo began cleaning the catch and tossing scraps overboard, rallying the local mangrove snapper population. Noting my interest in the schooling fish, Dad tied a sinker and tiny hook onto my kite-string line, baited it with a small piece of kingfish, and showed me how and where to cast. The strike came instantly, and the pull and vibration telegraphing through my arms, not to mention the sight of a snapper splashing from the water and flopping onto the dock, influenced my life from that day on.

Introducing someone to fishing and boating is as easy as arranging a trip, but unfortunately it doesn't always work out. In my experience, people fall into four groups after they make their first trip. The first group comprises the "disasters," people who aren't cut out for the sport. They succumb to seasickness or incredible boredom and swear never again to step off dry land. The second group includes those who enjoy themselves as long as somebody else provides the gear and bait, and absorbs all the expenses. The third group is the flash-in-the-pan types who become obsessed with the sport, purchase the best in everything, then suddenly sell out to pursue another interest.

Then there are the die-hards - the true backbone of the sport. They're a dedicated bunch with a deep-rooted appreciation for fishing and boating, always finding the time and means to be on the water, regardless of economic conditions. It's in their blood and they're in it for the long haul.

PLANT THE SEED EARLY

The future of fishing and boating lies in creating that 'hardcore" nucleus of Anglers. If we want our children to develop a fond appreciation for the water, like we have, it's vital to plant the seed at an early age. It's not an overnight undertaking, and it'll require plenty of cultivating to be successful.

Shortly after my introduction, my passion for learning more about the sport netted me a fancy spinning outfit, casting lessons in the backyard, and freshwater bass excursions with my dad and grandfather. A year later I was a regular on Dad's boat, learning all about it as we fished the Marquesas Islands for grouper and snapper, and Biscayne Bay for trout, snook and tarpon. My insatiable devotion nearly wore out dad, and I never figured out who was happier when I turned 16 and began driving and boating on my own, although I have a hunch.

I now have a daughter who shares an interest in boating and fishing. Her curiosity can be traced back to my business, where at the age of two she began noticing fishing pictures and fish mounts in my office. I organized a tackle box, bought her a small spinning outfit and introduced her to the sport in a nearby canal, bobber fishing for bluegills and oscars.

Lindsay soaked up the experiences and demanded stories on the places traveled to. Having outgrown the canal dock two years later, she was ready for her first boat trip. I primed the experience by showing her maps of Biscayne Bay, explaining what it was and the types of fish that live there. I showed her where we were going and then told her a bit about the boat. The excitement was there. Making a youngster feel like part of the team and not merely a passenger will go a long way toward nurturing their interest. Give them projects and request their help. Lindsay's in charge of packing lunches, drinks and sunscreen the evening before, sorting out her tackle box, laying out her fishing clothes and helping me load the boat and wash it afterwards.

Kids love to feel useful, and it's important to carry that sense of responsibility over to the water. Even if you don't need assistance in launching, give them a line and let them help secure the boat while you park the vehicle. Have them accompany you into the bait shop, checking to see if they need anything for their tackle box (provided it's not a Penn International 50). It's amazing how much mileage you can get from a box of hooks, two bobbers and a Butterfinger candy bar!

KEEP INSTRUCTION LIGHT

One of my pet peeves, thanks to growing up in South Florida with its hordes of boaters, is ignorance of boating safety. Most ten year olds are aware of the basic rules associated with automobiles, so developing a working knowledge of boating isn't that complicated. For instance, Lindsay knows it's a cardinal rule not to board a boat without her life jacket. She's fully aware of its purpose and why she must wear it at all times. She was given this information in a light and easy manner.

Read More Here


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great article by George. I have just started taking my son with me he is 5 years old. I didn't realize the first time or two that you have make theses trips easy and all about them. This article has a lot of good tips to follow and i will be using them on our future trips.
Thanks George,

Micheal Green